I've been extraordinarily lucky: Traveling to more than 50 countries, guiding for 10 years in Alaska and Oregon, living in Central Asia and experiencing quite a bit along the way. All while managing to develop a few good stories. In between teaching, a 2 year old and a wife in grad school - I also started a new direction by starting a career in art. Here is art, travels and other aspects of my life.

Everest panorama

Everest panorama

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Going down, continued (and then lots of up)

Pheriche to Tengboche, no wait... Khumjung. What are you crazy. Apparently so. We planned on going to Tengboche but ended up pushing on, and on. What a day, again. Son of a gun we are gluttons for punishment.



Bridges below Dingboche. I crossed the old one last time I was here, it was a good improvement. We were held up by a yak train, the first we'd seen.


Amy sizing up yet another mega load below Tengboche. I believe it was all bottles of water. If a gallon of water weighs 7 pounds, this guy was hauling an assload. Yet another example of how I am a weakling with a 50 pound pack.


Foggy entrance at Tengboche. This is a new addition, and quite magnificent. Last time they were constructing this from slabs of concrete. Very impressive masonry.


Unfortunately we planned on staying at Tengboche to check out the monastery and get a tour. The monks decided it was time to meditate and Amy was not allowed to be on "campus" without special permission from the Rinpoche. Needless to say, we were there at lunch time, the weather was lousy and we now had nothing to do, so we pressed on without much of a plan.


Apparently Amy was the Tibetan horse whisperer. She coaxed this fine steed in for a nose scratch and pat. I think horses sense fear because I truly believed it was going to kick my ass, so I stayed as far away as possible.